Wednesday, May 7, 2008

Dear pro-lifers proselytizing in red square,

My away message on Facebook says this: Hanley is thinking "it's my choice to love god, to believe in him, it should therefore be my choice to be pro-choice. in other words: take your bloody signs down."




The point is: you chose to be pro-life, did you not? You're 20something and whatever and you have a mind and you woke up one morning and you thought 'hey, i don't want to have an abortion' and that's great the thing is. The thing is you had a choice and the thing you don't seem to understand is where I stand it's called pro-choice. As in please, go right ahead and be pro-life. My position allows for your position. Whereas your position--

Listen.

I don't think abortion is a form of birth control. I don't. I'm not saying, hey, fuck condoms, the doc'll just flush your mistake. No. I'm not saying that at all.

But also.

Ok. So here's the thing. Your argument holds not water. You believe that the fetus is a life from the moment of conception -- which, hey, bully for you. But I (for argument's sake) don't believe this -- and it's my body. So my body has something in it which is essentially a cancer (to be base, and gross i guess?) as in cancer is an abnormal growth of cells. So my body has this thing, right? And i don't believe it's a life, so who are you to say I can't have an abortion?

And that's a really good fucking question.

Because here's the thing. The medical community -- they can't decide when the fetus becomes a life. There is no consensus. The rule out there right now is it's my property until three months . . . so . . . that's first. So what it comes down to is beliefs. And your beliefs and my beliefs and jane doe's beliefs they're all a little different.

Actually what it comes down to is I live in a democratic society at the root of which is freedom to choose.

Basically, I'm asking you to take the signs down. To stop picketing the medical offices. To stop acting like you are God and just start believing in Him and in His power to change the hearts of those you disagree with. I'm all for social justice, I'm all for you telling me how you feel, (hey I'm pro-choice) not anti-life) what I'm not all for is you blocking the main entrance to my campus with a billboard of NC17 pictures, I'm not okay with you terrorizing the women outside planned parenthood, and i'm not fucking okay with you preaching your pre-Vatican II nonsense like it's what the church is preaching today.

You aren't the be-all end-all source on Catholicism, no one is, so stop acting like it.



(and heck yes proselytizing is a word)

No comments: