Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Ceesau (prounounced see-saw)



I haven't done a "music edification" blog in forever, almost a year i think. Someday I will compile my lists again, mostly because I think word of mouth is the best way for good things to spread. But for now.

Ceesau.

Please check them out.

Not only are they amazingly talented (at least, i think they are) but they are socially conscious (almost all the proceeds from their cdbaby and clothing sales go to several charities that they support).

The lead singer/ main writer hails from Staten Island, not far from my own roots in Manhattan. He, like me, grew up in a world entirely different from the one I live in now.

"Growing up in mixed class neighborhood, prejudice was minimal. There was a great integration of
Nationalities."

The school I went to as a kid was 70% hispanic, 12% white, 18% everything else. I never knew racism, there was no room for it in the midst of such diversity.

"I was always fascinated by the world outside making immediate judgements and the narrow way in which
they would form their opinions. We don't seem to give due time before concluding what it is we think
we see...
Art, Music...the Ocean...
But most importantly the People walking around us.
You realize just as we are different, we are the same.

Ceesau is the bridge between all things that truly never needed one!

A world in Balance. Staying away from extremes and being open to the differences."

I'm throwing quotes at you, and I'm not expressing myself very accurately either. What I'm trying to say is: this band has the potential to be a powerful tool against a lot of what is currently wrong with our world.

"Ceesau is about. . .it's something I started over 10, 15 years ago, about racial unity and equality. . . This one song, "Wrote the Longest Word," is about how everything is everything, everybody is everybody, everybody's the same in a sense, in a philosophical, ideological [way]. The sense of if we could all start back from zero and just be like, what makes us segregate and separate and get all screwed up. Just all these little bubbles that we come from and these things we're taught and we think are right, the way people should be or shouldn't be or what we should believe in. . . Like I said, 'The Longest Word' is about wishing that things were a little bit better, wishing we could rewind from the chaos and the ultra, ultra technologically modern world that we've become, fast-paced, and we're all running too fast. I'm trying to pull back from being so affected by all of those things."

Anyways.

I'm rambling I know, but i found these guys on CDBaby.com (which, by the way, is a fantastic way to find random artists) and now i can't stop talking about them. It's so much fun to find artists by accident, and then to have them touch you both on an artistic level as a listener but also on a soul-like level as a charitable person interested in bettering the world anyway i can. . . so check it out. That's my plug.

And go.

(Incidentally the lead singer is an actor on CSI:NY as well as a painter and a writer; your regular renaissance man).
(all quotes are attributed to Carmine Giovinazzo from various sources)

1 comment:

Claire said...

omigod i love you and our mututally awesome music taste :) i will take that tip seriously and go look them up! have you heard of pandora.com!? cause you would love it, you can create radio stations based on certain artists, albums, or songs, and the throw new music at you, you can vote on on it as the station as its playing and you can create infinite amount of stations, and they save it for you, its totally awesome! im constantly finding new and amazing people on their radio stationgs. just a tip.

love you and miss you!

-Claire