Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Book of the Week

The Things They Carried
Tim O'Brien

No skeptics in foxholes :
A collection of related stories about Vietnam


This book took my breath away. It makes you hate war but also it is . . . it's human and it is grotesque and gorgeous in its humanity. O'Brien warns us, “If at the end of a war story you feel uplifted, or if you feel that some small bit of rectitude has been salvaged from the larger waste, then you have been made the victim of a very old and terrible lie.”
I warn: the only way this book uplifts you is in the way the sentences flow together, meeting at odd moments by chance.
This book is not true and it is. At the same exact moment.
It is not my story, but I could tell it and you would believe me.

These are not stories about courage, about brotherhood and love and flowers growing from ashes. These are stories about boys, and ash, and gun fire and they are beautiful.