Thursday, July 3, 2008

things I recommend

movies



Wanted Fantastic roller-coaster ride. And McAvoy is drop-dead-tongue-out-gorgeous. Also, Angelina is a badass which is always fun.


Mystic River If you liked Gone Baby Gone, you'll love this. Also, Sean Penn might be bat-shit nuts but he's got talent, and he's handsome. And, who doesn't love Kevin Bacon.


books



Gone Baby Gone Mystic River A Drink Before the War . . . actually just read anything by Dennis Lehane. His books make for perfect, edge of your seat, summer reading. If you (saw and) liked the movies you'll love his books.


music



Wanted Soundtrack Need motivation to work out? I've found it and all for under 15 dollars. Seriously. You want to feel bad ass, put on some bad ass music.


Paul Simon's Surprise An oldie but a goodie. Definitely not work out material, but good lazy-drive-after-a-day-at-the-beach music.


Jason Mraz He has new music, but not a new sound. Still love him, though, and his quirky, adorable, amazingness.

(PS I am well aware I need new adjectives, perhaps I'll invent a few.)


places


Seattle: Of course I'm repping my hometown this summer. Screw small-town Bellingham and big-city New York. Seattle is what Goldilocks has been looking for all along (and yes, we do have good porridge, thank you.)


Vanouver, BC, CA Just go. Spend an entire weekend there. Tour Granville, (There's a farmer's market and a brewery so. . .you know. . . get drunk and buy fruit,) visit the harbor, walk the bridge. Also, see a concert, Canadian's always have beer gardens, they're smart that way.


happy hours

These are all in Seattle.


Red Lion $5 Margarita's and free tacos with a patio high above the city. Fantastic.


McCormick and Schmick's BlackBean Nachos to die for, mini-hamburgers and tasty, tasty, tasty drinks. See: Whisky and Pomegranate martini (no I'm not kidding, and yes it was a little bit of heaven.)

people



Dennis Lehane He got rich writing. Bow down.


Bill Gates He retired from his billion dollar industry in order to focus on his charities. Um, amazing? I think so.


Leona Helmsley She just donated 8 BILLION dollars to dog charities (not kidding, not even a little bit) I'm awed and disgusted and whatever . . . she's fantastically malprioritized (I just invented that word and I'm proud of it).


news stories


Leona Helmsley

Norman Bates

Yes, we did just trick you.



websites/blogs



smittenkitchen



designsponge

1 comment:

Claire said...

OMG i loved this compilation blog....it was basically the highlight of my day