Monday, June 23, 2008

reasons to smile

Work is boring today so I have a little time to find somethings to make you, good readers, smile.

Top Ten Reasons to Smile as Much as you Can

All the Good News that's Fit to Print This website continually make me grin and at times helps restore my faith in humanity.


Basically, I want a dog.



Also. I have recommendations (movies this time)

Gone Baby, Gone : Casey Affleck is starting to live up to the name his brother created for them with Good Will Hunting. This film, a gritty look at what happens to a cop after years on the job, is heart wrenching, heart warming, and thought provoking. I dare you to watch it and not discuss it after . . . I bet you can't.

We Own the Night : I am slightly obsessed with the honor attached to the uniform, any uniform. This particular film is about the NYPD Street Teams that stared down drug pushers in the notoriously awful 80s. My parents tell stories about finding crack pipes outside their office door, murders every night. Besides being an awesomely intense film, Joaquin Phoenix and Mark Wahlberg throw every ounce of their talent into their performances.

No Country For Old Men : If you haven't seen it, see it. I love the Coen brothers, so, you know.

In Bruges : Quite possibly the best movie Colin Farrell's ever made, and I love Colin Farrell. It's funny, quick, and has just enough action to keep them boys entertained. Also, it's not even close to politically correct. (My dad and I are forcing my mom to stay in Bruges for two days specifically because we loved this movie so much.)

Cassandra's Dream : If In Bruges hadn't taken the best Colin movie ever award, this one would. Ewan McGregor and Colin Farrell play off eachother like they were born to do so. A look at just what we'll do for family, and for money, this film mixes humor, brutality and familial loyalty into a moral tale about how we cope with the worst in ourselves. Not to mention I can't resist a good "brother" film.


Happy Monday!

2 comments:

Claire said...

ooooh movies to add to my netflix queue. I love using that word. thanks for the opportunity to do so. love you.

Claire said...

although gone baby gone and we own the night. QUALITY favs of mine of the past year or so....especially we own the night. intense.